Thursday, September 10, 2009

Film Friday!!



MOVIE: Dorian Gray STARRING: Colin Firth (yay!) and Ben Barnes (yay, yay!) COMING OUT: Allegedly this Fall.


Hello all! Today I'm on jury duty. You have to report at 7:45 AM when you report to jury duty which would be no big deal except that last night I stayed up until way too late cutting MY OWN book trailer for "The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Percy Parker". Yes. I'm just that weird. It was upon this journey that I stumbled upon DORIAN GRAY with the beautiful, phenomenal, enchanting BEN BARNES. Now, ladies. Let's review the story of Dorian Gray. Victorian London, a young man too beautiful for his own good, somehow rigs it so that he can live a life of complete hedonism without aging, without it showing up in his person. As I sit here in the waiting area of the Justice building and watch different individuals file past, I can appreciate that this (hiding your sin from marring your countenance) is no small feat. What always worries me about this story is that there is the whole man-love thing in it. Or hinted at. It is Oscar Wilde of course. There's nothing wrong with man-love if you're into that. I'm not. It does nothing for mme and I really don't want to see Ben Barnes kissing Colin Firth. There is a very good review which I have posted from the Times that says while MOST of the debauchery is man/woman -- there is 'one brief scene' of consumation between the men. Yuck. This is not my fantasy. Nevertheless, the preview looks FANTASTIC. Ben looks FANTASTIC and well... take a look for yourselves.

Meanwhile, has there ever been a more perfect moment for Dorian Gray? I can't help but thinking that our world may finally view his torture as lamentable but infinitely more interested in where they can find a painting of their own... plastic surgery isn't going to last forever.

ps. yes. I did rip off a WHOLE lot for my book trailer for "The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker." I can't help it -- it TOTALLY worked.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I don't like the book in the least, but I think this will make a very good movie. It seems to capture the mood perfectly.

    ReplyDelete